Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adder Points behind a field point.

Has anyone had any success with them?
    I've been around for a while in the field and had never given them any thought before, until I received a package from a grab bag last Christmas.
    Anyway. Last evening before sunset I went out to my dad's farm to sneak up on a hole digging poxatoney woodchuck.
    I drew, my Martin Magcat at 60 lbs, and shot this chuck. He was a bout 40 feet from his hole at the time. I ended up hitting him as I already said and he simply rolled over and got back up, looked around as if to say, "Whatever!" I carefully retrieved my arrow as to not disturb him any more that I already had and then walked back to my dad's house befuddled. I watched him with a pair of binoculars for almost 40 minutes after hoping that he was by some miricle going to just drop dead from trauma. I left in disgust.
    Has anyone had any luck with them? I think next time he's getting a broadhead!!!

Re: Adder Points behind a field point.

I have them on a few arrows but have not used them on anything bigger they grey squirrels. They works well on those and kept the arrow from getting buried on those misses...
    It surprizes me that your shot did not knock to crap out of him and killed him shortly afterwards. (???)
    I did not realize they were that tough a critter...

Comment

i wouldnt use it on a groundhog...ive had hogs take a full load of dove shot right to the face at 30 yards, roll over, then run right down their hole....theyre tough little buggers

Comment

I have shot chipmunks with that type of setup, but with a bow set at 40lbs and never had a chipmunk get away. For groundhogs, I always have used broadheads.

Comment

Thanks guys. The broadhead he's getting! or maybe I'll just shoot him in the head. I bet with an adder point he'll be done then.

Comment

Use blunts. If you hit that rascal in the ribcage w/ a blunt, it won't take long. I've used adder points before, and they work great on squirrels. Groundhogs are just too big.

Comment

I have them but never hit anything with them yet. I have one for fall turkey that runs into the bow season with deer.

Comment

Have any of you backed one behind a broadhead to retard penetration?

Comment

I use a field tip with one, a new point! My field tips have a narrow tip with a nice sharp point on them. If I hit anything it should penetrate(sp?). But they advertise you can use them behind a broadhead, I would imagine they will slow the arrow down.

Comment

Man, I used one of the adder's in LA two weeks ago on a muskrat and hammered him. It was shot out of Martin SE at 67 pounds at 22 yards. The booger didn't know what hit it. I'm going to get some for around the house here.

Comment

Hey Bro, (Straightshooter),

I killed two more last night with the adders and a head shot will stop them in there tracks. Stick that whistle pigs with one, he won't last long.

Elwood

Comment

How bout use the G5 Small Game. Its like a Judo Point with no springs. Never used it put the side arms look sharp and it just plain looks neat.

Comment

This is from yesterday:

Broadheads work just fine.

Comment

Nice shootin Squirrel.

I've never shot at anything but a deer or target () but this post was good information for when I start!

Comment

Congrats on the chuck. I now see how it should be done. LOL
                              I'll be up there this weekend for dad's Day and I sure will be bringing the bow. that is as long as the wife permits it.
                              I won't have pics but will let you know how I do.
                              Squirrelhunter shows how it's done!! Nice job!

Comment

Working...
                              X