X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permanent stand construction

i'm planning on building a couple permanent stands on my property any good ideas on a design?

Re: permanent stand construction

Hmmmm, at the very least, use pressure treated wood. High end--use steel.

Generally though, I wouldn't build or use a permanent stand.

Comment

do a search on treehouses. you might get some good ideas. a guy on another fourm did just this, and had some very impressive stands.
      Frank

Comment

Are you wanting to build permanent tree stand or a free standing shooting box for rifle hunting. I have several permanent stands on my property and love them--both tree stands and box stands. Like Tominator said--use treated lumber--it costs a little more but will last much longer. For tree stands pick a hard wook slow growing tree like Oak. I made one once in a large cotton wood tree and within 3 years it was all warped up. I still hunt out of it but it is a little wobbly. Also---I don't use nails I use large wood screws--they seem to work a little better. Here are a couple pics of both my tree stands and box stands:

good luck
        todd

Comment

Have you considered using scaffolding? We have a stand made of that, and it works great. Plenty of room for 2 people, and gear, and you don't have to worry about the tree falling down. Next time I'm out there(won't be this weekend, cuz dads workin) I'll get some new pictures to show. The only ones I have are a few years old.

Comment

thanks for the pics dogdoc i'm looking at building a free standing shooting box like yours that looks nice how deep do you set the posts-2feet?

Comment

scaffolding is a great idea but the cost might be a little high for me i like the idea though!

Comment

They are set about 3 feet deep with 40# of concrete. Here are a few pics of building:

Hope this helps a little --the deer in my signature was shot out of that box
                todd

Comment

Nothing too fancy, 4x4 6ft high, trap door entry, lexan hinged windows, bus seat, vinyl siding

Comment

I think i might build one of them this summer!...nice deer

Comment

Steel that's where it's at. Room for 3 and wont rot till I'm dead and gone.

Comment

All depends on what you are wanting to build. Permanent heavy ladders, blinds, or what. Also depends on whether or not you can weld and have access to a welder. I build mine out of steel, but I can weld and have all the equipment I need in the garage.

I kind of plan out my stands and blinds on paper before I build them.

Comment

great looking stands, makes me wish I had my own land to do that on!

Comment

Make sure it blends in with the surroundings so deer dont get too spooked. Use actual branches to cover the bottom and sides of the stand. Theres no better camo than actual branches- sorry realtree

Comment

Buckchaser, I see your in MN.Just a thought for you, if you build one like Docs up there you may want to go deeper then he did with your posts, the frost up here tends to have things up sometimes unless you get it anchored below the frost level.A post hole digger will go down about 4 ft, we generally go down as far as the post hole digger will allow then dump 50# of cement around the post to prevent any problems when we build decks.

Another thing about treated lumber, its almost always wet when you get it, it shrinks as it dries.Id definately recomend using it but check all the screws and lags and make sure theyre in all the way before hunting out of it, as it dries the screws tend to back out of the wood and if you leave it for a couple months without using it you may have to run them back in a ways.

Comment

We have some just like dogdoc's tower stand. We originally wanter permanant tree stands, but it seemed we always picked the tree that was going to blow down in a year or two. By building the tower stands we could put them ecactly where we wanted, and enclose them a bit to get good concealment.

Comment

hey everyone i've been away from the computer for a few days thanks for all the responses this is helping me out greatly!

Comment

Here you go fellows!!!!! Have fun!!!!!! Deer Stand Plans

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Todd...

That looks great man.

Just curious though...is that the new RT pattern?

Comment

Harvdog---Buckee and i are trying to get a patent on that pattern right now---I'll see if I can get buckee to post our "field trial" version of it.

Here it is:

Comment

Here is my 1st. 4x6x6. All pressure treated framing with scrape plywood and OSB walls, tin roof. Sits on top of a 6' base made from 8" diameter cedar tree posts and pressure treaded 2x2x8 crossings. Base is just siiting on the ground, not cemented in.

My 2nd is a 4x8x6 all welded steel framing (2x2's), 1/4" OSB walls screwed on with self-tapping screws, and tin roof. 6' high base again. Top frame and base are bolted together. This stand can be disassembled and moved fairly easily.
                                          You'll notice mine is all tan. Due to the fact I have hay fields 360* the stand and also I was unable to buy the rights to Buckee's or DogDoc's camo pattern. LOL

Then I have built a ladder stand out of 1x1 steel, welded and then bolted to a 14' section of aluminium ladder. (1/2 of a 30' extention ladder)
                                          Here a pic of the platform before construction.

Then I have one 24"x30" wooden platform lag bolted to a maple in a back corner. All pressure treaded framing. Although you can see it starting to lean forward. This stand is coming down this summer...

I have several other home-made all welded steel heavy-a$$ stands that are semi-permanant chain-on style littered throughout my land.
                                          But I think I have posted enough pics for one post.. LOL

Comment

VT---great looking stands! They will be around a longgggggggggg time!

Comment

Man Im lovin Dogdocs and VT Stands! very nice looking!

Comment

I have plans for working plumbing and satellite dish this summer on the steel framed on. LOL

I already have a heater and a gas grill tank to fuel it... 12" hose so the tank is just chained to the base on the ground.... (For real- hey! its dang cold in VT come Novemeber and December)

Jezz I hope no one shoots my tank when I am using it.....
                                                D-oh!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                                  I have plans for working plumbing and satellite dish this summer on the steel framed on. LOL

I already have a heater and a gas grill tank to fuel it... 12" hose so the tank is just chained to the base on the ground.... (For real- hey! its dang cold in VT come Novemeber and December)

Jezz I hope no one shoots my tank when I am using it.....
                                                  D-oh!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL geez man your killin me!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X