X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jelly head or Tight wad choke?

After wathcing the primos video and the guys shooting the jelly head choke, i think i may have to get one. but i was wandering what everyone thought of the two chokes. jelly head or tight wad? i want one for my rem. 11-87 20ga. and what shot would you recommend with it as well?

Re: Jelly head or Tight wad choke?

I recommend #5 or #6 lead. The old #6 Remington Hevi works good in the 20 ga. too if you wanna go that route. As far as which choke and which shell..........you'll never know until you try all the combo's in your own gun. If you think you want a Jellyhead........go get one and about 3 or 4 or 5 boxes of different shells and head to the patterning board. Testing multiple chokes (unless you can borrow some from friends) gets expensive.

Comment

Go to the NWTF site and check the hundreds of threads on chokes, ammo combos etc. That will give you answers and a starting point. Every gun has it's likes and dislikes.

Comment

But the problem is, not every shotgun will shoot the same! You have to go through the process of elimination to find the best choke/load for YOUR shotgun! I bought three chokes plus the factory choke, also got three different sizes of shot, #4, #5, and #6's. All three sizes were bought from Federal, and Winchester. I also bought two boxes of hevi-shot from Remington, #5, and #6's. 8 boxes of shells total!

Tested all the chokes I could with the hevi-shot first. Then went on to test the other three chokes with whatever I could shoot through. In my gun, it liked the Comp-N-Choke with Winchester Supremes HV 3.5" #6 the best at 40 yards! But that's my gun! Comp-N-Choke XXX FULL will not handle hevi-shot!

The process can and will be expensive! But you will never know what your gun is capable of shooting unless you go through the process! It helps if you have a few friends that have chokes to test on your gun. Also, buy a few rounds from them! Then head to the patterning board!

Comment

I can't say that I have ever paterned the Jelly Head but I did own one. I bought one for my Browning Gold turkey gun but sent it back. It seemed so much longer than my Browning Turkey choke.

Comment

Ive looked at both chokes,They promote the Jellyhead alot at it seems to do a great job,But they both have the same constriction,Sowont they have the same results?????

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Ive looked at both chokes,They promote the Jellyhead alot at it seems to do a great job,But they both have the same constriction,Sowont they have the same results?????

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Remington the Tightwad is tighter .660 where the Jellyhead is .665....

Comment

i had a jelly head and shot sveral differnt brands and shot sizes through it and was not impressed with it. I was shooting a mossberg 835 3 1/2". I ended up getting a comp n choke and selling the jelly head for half the price i paid for it.

Comment

Dont know. Really I have been very satisfied with the factory winchester super full extended turkey choke that came with my 1300. Get pretty tight groups on out there with it. Kind of have to wonder sometimes if the factory equipment designed to give optimal performance might not be as good as some of the aftermarket equipment.

Comment

If you are shooting heavy shot, go with the jellyhead, I shoot nitro ammunition with the jellyhead out of my Browning BPS and inside of 25 yards, you will know why it is called the jellyhead...complete destructiion

Comment

I have a tightwad and it a really good choke for its price range. It will kill a turkey. A friend of mine has a jelly head and has had good results with it. If you call the bird in to twenty five yards or closer and hold it on him it really dont matter what choke your shooting, cause its meat on the table

Comment

Working...
                      X