Daughter takes her first deer, pics inside.

Hunting Forum

Welcome to the hunting forum. Participate in member hunting forums, member blogs, and hunting pro blogs. The hunting forum is also the place to see Team Realtree photos and add your own photos.

We hope you’ll visit often! Why not bookmark this hunting forum page right now and share the link with a friend!

Hunting Forum | Realtree ® - Powered by vBulletin

Default Daughter takes her first deer, pics inside.

I was blessed to spend the last week and a half deer hunting with my oldest girl. This is her second year of chasing whitetails and it paid off Tuesday morning. We had a pretty eventful time to say the least seeing lots of different bucks, turkey and hogs. The does were starting to cycle and the bucks were relentless in pursuit of them. At times there would be 4-5 at a time chasing the same doe, it was just crazy. I shared with her what little I know about sport. There were many up's and downs' during our time together, some will be life time memories for sure. Let's cut to the chase. This was her last morning to hunt as she had to go shopping for a dress for a gala she was attending later in the week. We get to the blind in total darkness and wait for sunrise just as we did the days before. As the morning came to being the shapes of deer feeding in front of us came apparent. There were several does and 2 small bucks present when there was enough light to see. About 10 minutes later my daughter says "there a buck right there on the right side of the sendero and it looks to be a shooter". I just was able to get some glass on him before he bolted off after a doe. For the next few minutes it was chasing does like there was no tomorrow. My daughter had a heck of a time trying to stay with it in her scope and she grew tired of me asking " are you on it?" At one point it came within 15 yards of the blind and stopped a minute panting, the deer was actually too close to get a shot. Finally the buck bolted off after a doe and stopped about 70 yards away. Was this the moment we have been waiting for? I gave her the ok to shoot when she had a broadside shot! The only thing was the buck didn't get the memo as he would only briefly present her a shot and then would move again. Our sprits suddenly sank and fell when he picked up a scent from another doe and started running her 200yards away and out of sight from us. We then looked at each other in amazement trying to gather what we had just witnessed in a few short minutes. She was so close but yet so far away. As we had done days before, I told her we would wait with the possibilities that he would return. Sure enough it wasnt 3-4 minutes later I spot a deer pop out 125 yards up the sendero in the same direction where the buck disappeared earlier. It was a doe and she took off running again. With that I told daughter to get ready because the buck was mostly behind her and sure enough he came out and I hollered to get his attention. One last time I asked "are you on it?" and the response was the rifle going off! pfffffffft thud is what I heard and the deer dropped like getting struck by lightning. Finally her first deer was on the ground. We sat there a bit getting our thoughts and emotions settled down and then proceeded to the rack we could sticking up above the grass. In the end patience paid off for her as did the hours we have spent shooting together. The rifle used was a Remington M700 I built in 260 Rem. It is suppressed and shoots very quietly and is easy on the shoulder. We had handloaded the shells together a couple of weeks ago, they are 140gr Berger VLD's pushed by H4831 in Lapua brass. Cat's 11pt with some trash.
    Life is good, give God the glory!

+++ Humble member in the brotherhood of Christ +++

Blog Entries

Very cool. Congrats to her and the old man for raising her right!

Realtree Hoyt Fraternity Member #12

Blog Entries

That's awesome Charlie! Long time no see, good to see you back on. Congratulations to your daughter on a great deer, and congratulations to Dad also!

Blog Entries

Very nice Charlie. Congratulations to your daughter and to you too.
    wtnhunt

Nice! Congrats to her
    2010 Hoyt Alphaburner @60lbs2012-2013 Realtree Forums Deer Contest Winners -Team Dropin' Tines

enjoyed the story. very nice buck. congrats to both of you

todd

definitely can't shoot that here in the gun neutering state of NY. then again with my setup the buck would've been dead at 15 yards. congrats to you both!

Man, what a great deer. Congrats to your daughter! Looks like a sweet rifle.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries

Wow! Charlie...That is one heck of a buck! Congrats to your daughter! I should be chasing some Hill Country Whitetails in a few weeks. I hope I have the luck your daughter has!
    NRA, NYSRPA
    Board of Director/ county rep NY Bowhunters
    United Sportsmen of Rockland County
    Take a kid hunting, pass it on.
    God Bless America and our troops

Awesome buck, CONGRATS to both daughter & dad
    too_

Blog Entries

That is one awesome buck right there! Congratulations!
    Silver Member.....The OTPG