Sign in to follow this  
midwesthunter815

Rookie Question

Hi all,

I am new to the hunting world and just purchased a bow last June. Had a blast this fall out in the stand. I'm now looking to buy a gun. I am on a pretty tight budget unfortunately but I know there are some great relatively inexpensive guns out there. I have heard great things about both the 870 and the 500 and was wondering which some of you prefer?

Thanks for your imput!

Rookie Question

I have my granddaddys old mossberg 500 got it when he passed away, it's been thru a house fire so the stock has a burnt look to it. So I would choose this gun over any other gun out there but my cousin has a 870 express and it's a really nice gun.

Hey brother... welcome to the hunting world. Both guns have a very powerful kick in 12 gauge - so know that. I get that you are on a budget, but you should just expect that. I have owned both guns and currently I own a Mossberg 500 and I love it. I believe the 870 is the most sold shotgun ever. The new 870s to me don't look that great. I'm not making a judgement on the quality of the 870, but it does look too much like plastic, in fact I believe the handguard is plastic but looks like wood. My 500 is beautiful. Both guns shoot the same. I would not make a recommendation on two different guns based on the aesthetics, but for all intents and purposes - both guns do the job just fine. I would do some searching on some gun auctions and the like to get a decent price on a used 870 and 500. I bought my whole setup for $325 used with the scope. You can get both new for $340 (Mossberg) / $330 (Remington) <--- both listed at BassPro. Find the best deal for either and grab that baby. You'll have it for life.