Sign in to follow this  
redkneck

Summer sausage

Wanted to try something a little different, me and my bud had some last day of the season success so I figured why not make summer sausage? :)

First take one of these

ResizedImage_1391217059603_zpsa8dbfa3e.jpg

Add thirty percent fat and grind twice, second time in the fine plate (takes forever)

20140201_174547_zpsbd3aa4bd.jpg

Stir in some goodies

20140201_181543_zpsbd4567d9.jpg

And stuff

20140201_204006_zpsa432a9bb.jpg

Smoked a few hours and iced down. Turned out pretty good, a little damp, may use some pork butts next go around.

Made plenty of sausage, but never tried making summer sausage. Usually add cheap bacon or fat trimmed from pork loins.

A meat mixer would sure be handy to have. Yep, fine plate grinding is slow process.

Yeah I've been wanting a mixer, since I've went last year or so from casual burger grinder to full out processing. I've heard they were great, I've heard they weren't worth the clean up time, idk.

I do need a GOOD vac sealer though, the Wally world one I have don't cut it. Good vacuum just not a great sealer.

On our second food saver, first one came from Sams club and lasted probably 5 years. Still worked but had trouble pulling good vacuum. Put up a lot from garden and meat with it. Only way as far as i am concerned to package meat going in the freezer.