Sign in to follow this  
BigMike.jmp

Coyote Mating Season is in the air

Here in Missouri, it is that time of year when male and female 'yotes are getting ready for the season of "love". Most people don't realize that male and female coyotes mate for life, and the younger generations are now old enough to pursue mates of their own. From February to end of March is the prime time to trigger a coyote's curious nature with a few challenging howls/ barks. The territorial nature will cause them to investigate the presence a younger male, or even that of a younger female. Avoid using pup calls, and save those for mid-summer/ early fall. Be aware of your volume as well, because with the "song dogs" on the move, they can be just a ditch a way. Good luck to those who go out and Dust some Dogs.

Welcome to the forums Big Mike. Thanks for sharing those tips.

Planning on getting after them here again. Was going to go this past weekend, but had some other issues that came up. Been noticing a few hit on the sides of the roads and seeing more singles moving on trail cam pics, so yeah they are on the move. Gonna probably try a trap set or two too if I can get a handle on the beaver problem and move one or two of those traps from the problem areas, just gonna have to figure out where I want to go with a conibear set.

I just started hunting coyotes and I've been bating them in this field where I hunt. there's two deer and some gross venison that was barely edible. all of this meat is under a chain link fence. The coyotes have been in there every night for almost two weeks now. It's been kinda random times there's no pattern of there movement. I don't know if I should sit and wait for them to come in or call them in. because I might have to wait all night but if they're in the area I should be able to call them in Any ideas?

I just started hunting coyotes and I've been bating them in this field where I hunt. there's two deer and some gross venison that was barely edible. all of this meat is under a chain link fence. The coyotes have been in there every night for almost two weeks now. It's been kinda random times there's no pattern of there movement. I don't know if I should sit and wait for them to come in or call them in. because I might have to wait all night but if they're in the area I should be able to call them in Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums. Way you described that sounds like you have some hanging pretty close nearby. Only legal here to hunt them in legal shooting hours so no night hunting. I am not an expert, but if it were me I would not hesitate to do a little calling in the afternoon, might encourage them to come on in.

In Missouri, we can't use artificial lighting, nor can we use night vision or thermal, so moonlight is all we can use. I will say though, the nights after a fresh snow dusting came through and the full moon is out, let the party begin. On one set two years ago, I had 5 come in to my locator call, followed by cottontail distress.

Night hunting is risky because of being limited on what you can see along with being limited on what equipment you can use. I use a red cap light when walking into an area, because when I go to shut the light off, it takes less time for my eyes to adjust. Always place yourself elevated as well, which helps in identifying your target, due to the fact that you can see their shadow as well.