Sign in to follow this  
Turkeygirl

Looking into a new ML - suggestions?

Recommended Posts

I saw Cabelas had the TC Pro Hunter FX with scope on sale for $699 which kind of got me thinking, since I fell in love hunting with the ML last year, about getting a newer ML with an easier breech system, etc. Debating on TC and CVA....saw both at Cabelas, held both. Wondering what the rest of you use/like/dislike? Anything to look for or avoid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of preference thing really Ruth, don't think you would go wrong with a tc or a cva.  I really like my accura.  Think the bergara stainless barrels are about as good as you will find in production muzzleloaders.  Far as optics go, I probably would not opt for a package deal unless it comes with a decent scope.  These guns are very capable of being 200 yard or longer range guns with the right scopes and loads.  I went on the lower end with a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on my accura with the bdc reticle.  

One thing I would look at closely is the action and how easy it is to get to areas to clean.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wtnhunt said:

Kind of preference thing really Ruth, don't think you would go wrong with a tc or a cva.  I really like my accura.  Think the bergara stainless barrels are about as good as you will find in production muzzleloaders.  Far as optics go, I probably would not opt for a package deal unless it comes with a decent scope.  These guns are very capable of being 200 yard or longer range guns with the right scopes and loads.  I went on the lower end with a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on my accura with the bdc reticle.  

One thing I would look at closely is the action and how easy it is to get to areas to clean.  

wtn...any issues with misfires with your Accura? I don't know if it was that specific model but in my researches online I read some had issues with misfires or not firing in cold weather with their CVA. Of course others had positive reviews on their CVA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Turkeygirl said:

wtn...any issues with misfires with your Accura? I don't know if it was that specific model but in my researches online I read some had issues with misfires or not firing in cold weather with their CVA. Of course others had positive reviews on their CVA

Only this one time Ruth 

The issue is a non issue if you stay aware of it.  I did not know before hand, was kind of my fault, however I never saw a thing about this in the owners manual prior to my issue.  The spring and firing pin need removed and that area well cleaned after doing much shooting, I was of the impression that it was a sealed area and that blowback would not form any crud there, but it does just enough to potentially cause an issue if you do not clean it from time to time.  I had done some shooting leading up to the 14 season and there was some blowback that caused the firing pin to be a little sticky which in the cold weather was worse.  I do not know about the TC design, but would assume that it would also need cleaned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my Accura as well. I also have a Nikon scope, but I bought a ML scope.  The CVA Optima is also a really good gun, just a little less $$$.  I would also look into Blackhorn 209 powder, again, it's just preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The accura mountain rifle in stainless black stock was $299 and even had free shipping.  

Saw where they have the current sale on all cva's yesterday afternoon.  Some good deals but that mr @ 299 was a great deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the MR version is back to 499 now.  

This is the model I have https://cva.com/product/accura-v2-stainless-steel-with-camo-stocks-and-scope-mount/.  Midway has it at $399 which is a good price, I think cabelas had it at $469 on sale when I bought mine, but I used points and also used a $50 off $500 order so I did not pay anywhere near that.  

One thing I forgot to mention is that depending on the scope you chose to go with your rifle, you may need to swap the dead on mount for the higher mount.  My 3-9x40 prostaff bdc was really tight with the mount that came on my gun.  I called cva and they swapped it out free of charge for the taller mount.  May not be an issue at all for you if you go with an "inline" model type scope.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good to know wtn, thanks! I'll have to check it. Are you saying an inline" muzzleloader type scope may better fit the dead on mount vs. a rifle scope which my need the different mount?  I ordered the CVA Accura V2 with thumbhole sock, nitride stainless steel with the scope/case package. I figure I'll see how the scope is but might get something better for it. Looks like it'll be here Friday. What load do you shoot out of yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Turkeygirl said:

This is good to know wtn, thanks! I'll have to check it. Are you saying an inline" muzzleloader type scope may better fit the dead on mount vs. a rifle scope which my need the different mount?  I ordered the CVA Accura V2 with thumbhole sock, nitride stainless steel with the scope/case package. I figure I'll see how the scope is but might get something better for it. Looks like it'll be here Friday. What load do you shoot out of yours?

I believe many of the scopes that are sold as specifically for inlines typically have a little more generous eye relief, which may mean a little shorter tube.  The main issue I had in my case was that the eyepiece of the scope was so close to the hammer that I never would have been able to pull the hammer back with a gloved hand and would have been an issue in the cold for sure due to so little clearance.  The scope caps would not fit either with the standard nikon 3-9x40 prostaff.  

With getting the package deal, it should be a good fit for you.  I am not familiar with the konus scopes that usually come with those package deals, be sure to report back how you like it.  

I use triple 7 in mine, found my best accuracy with the bullets I was using to be 115 grains loose powder, my groups seemed to open up a little after that.  I was using tc 240 grain xtp mags, those are a hornady bullet.  Gonna try some new 240 grain hornady whitetail interlock bullets this year as soon as it cools down a little here.  I have some blackhorn, but have not tried it, best as I am to understand and I may be wrong on this, but I think you would need the breech plug specifically for blackhorn powder if you shoot it.  

Remember with cleaning to disassemble the firing pin and clean any crud from that assembly.  It takes a notched flat screwdriver.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about Konus but I'll let you know. The gun arrived on Friday...I'll tell ya the Accura V2 shoulders nice with the thumbhole! The scope is a KonusPro 3 -10 with lighted reticle. The reticle is black or you can change to blue or red lighted reticle. Few reviews I read on Konus people seem to like them. Now I just need to play with the gun, figure out out to open it to expose the breech, etc.  I have the triple seven pellets. Also got some more hornady SST sabots and some hornady xtps to try out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to update this I ended up with a CVA Accura V2 .50 cal with thumbhole stock. Sighting it in today or tomorrow. Did have trouble with the thumb spur on the hammer when trying to switch it for left hand, it ended up breaking. I sent it in to CVA and they fixed it along with the gouge in the stock finish, no questions asked! So double thumbs up for CVA Customer Service!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the wife the mountain rifle version for an anniversary gift back in July when Midway ran them for $299.  Also got her a nikon inline xr scope a little later on from cabelas.  Our anniversary was Monday, think she was happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this