Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turkeygirl

Looking into a new ML - suggestions?

10 posts in this topic

I saw Cabelas had the TC Pro Hunter FX with scope on sale for $699 which kind of got me thinking, since I fell in love hunting with the ML last year, about getting a newer ML with an easier breech system, etc. Debating on TC and CVA....saw both at Cabelas, held both. Wondering what the rest of you use/like/dislike? Anything to look for or avoid?

Kind of preference thing really Ruth, don't think you would go wrong with a tc or a cva.  I really like my accura.  Think the bergara stainless barrels are about as good as you will find in production muzzleloaders.  Far as optics go, I probably would not opt for a package deal unless it comes with a decent scope.  These guns are very capable of being 200 yard or longer range guns with the right scopes and loads.  I went on the lower end with a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on my accura with the bdc reticle.  

One thing I would look at closely is the action and how easy it is to get to areas to clean.  

Awwwwww................ c'mon, Ruth !!!

Cowgirl up and go old skool !!  Get yourself a flintlock !!!!

;)

22 hours ago, wtnhunt said:

Kind of preference thing really Ruth, don't think you would go wrong with a tc or a cva.  I really like my accura.  Think the bergara stainless barrels are about as good as you will find in production muzzleloaders.  Far as optics go, I probably would not opt for a package deal unless it comes with a decent scope.  These guns are very capable of being 200 yard or longer range guns with the right scopes and loads.  I went on the lower end with a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on my accura with the bdc reticle.  

One thing I would look at closely is the action and how easy it is to get to areas to clean.  

wtn...any issues with misfires with your Accura? I don't know if it was that specific model but in my researches online I read some had issues with misfires or not firing in cold weather with their CVA. Of course others had positive reviews on their CVA

2 hours ago, Turkeygirl said:

wtn...any issues with misfires with your Accura? I don't know if it was that specific model but in my researches online I read some had issues with misfires or not firing in cold weather with their CVA. Of course others had positive reviews on their CVA

Only this one time Ruth 

The issue is a non issue if you stay aware of it.  I did not know before hand, was kind of my fault, however I never saw a thing about this in the owners manual prior to my issue.  The spring and firing pin need removed and that area well cleaned after doing much shooting, I was of the impression that it was a sealed area and that blowback would not form any crud there, but it does just enough to potentially cause an issue if you do not clean it from time to time.  I had done some shooting leading up to the 14 season and there was some blowback that caused the firing pin to be a little sticky which in the cold weather was worse.  I do not know about the TC design, but would assume that it would also need cleaned.  

I love my Accura as well. I also have a Nikon scope, but I bought a ML scope.  The CVA Optima is also a really good gun, just a little less $$$.  I would also look into Blackhorn 209 powder, again, it's just preference.

Well Midway USA has their CVAs on sale this week! I think I'm going to get an ACCURA V2 with thumbhole stock.

The accura mountain rifle in stainless black stock was $299 and even had free shipping.  

Saw where they have the current sale on all cva's yesterday afternoon.  Some good deals but that mr @ 299 was a great deal.