gc25

Archery Target Panic...

With close to 60 years of flinging arrows I do not recall ever having target panic.  Any issues that I ever had with accuracy all concerned follow-through and were usually caused by either physical fatigue or mental boredom.  The only person I know who had target panic arrived at that state from stressing over the inability to hold absolutely still while aiming.  It may be possible for someone to become like a statue while aiming but that would be very rare.  Tensing the muscles to achieve this statue like pose only makes your sight pin stray more.  Allowing the pin to float around the aiming point while triggering the release usually gives the best results.  The website gives some helpful tips and is a good place to start.  The person I mentioned did move in to close range but still had issues until they came to terms with the realization that holding the pin on an aspirin size spot wasn't possible and instead focused on the act of shooting, not aiming.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:07 PM, elkoholic said:

the pin to float around the aiming point while triggering the release usually gives the best results.

EXACTLY!...I used to shoot on a .22 match Rifle Target Team   That is just what you did, time the movement and squeeze. AMAZING how accurate one can become with practice.