Sign in to follow this  
wtnhunt

Fat deer, hard winter?

While skinning Allison's deer noticed unusual amount of fat.  Never seen a deer with so much.  The hams had between 1.5 and 2 inches.  Had heard some older people suggest heavy fat on animals means a hard winter.  Seems to go along with the farmers almanac calling for a hard winter this year.  Anyone here seen a correlation?

I've never heard that about deer fat.  My dad cut open a persimmon seed the other day and it had the spoon which the old timers say means a lot of snow to shovel......I highly doubt that here in southeast Texas LOL.

More like a more than adequate food supply over the past six months or so.  The deer here are carrying a lot of fat and I credit the wet summer with allowing the food sources to provide the calories.  Then, if the wet weather continues into winter, there could be snow up to our ears.

3 hours ago, Rhino said:

Same with each of the 4 bucks and a doe taken by our Missouri group recently William...1.5" to 2" of fat.

Is that normal for Missouri deer?

Catrina's deer was really lean but think he was most likely a year younger deer.

Well fwiw we broke records for coldest temp recorded on this day and have had our coldest day of 2019. Actual temp when I walked out this morning was supposedly 13.  Hope this is not an indication of how bad this winter will be.

Al Gore and his global warming........

I arrowed my buck on November 9th and i was amazed with the high fat content.  Although he had one fighting wound I think with the rut just starting here last weekend that he hasn't started running yet.  I saw six bucks that day and he was the only one not running does.