Sign in to follow this  
buffett1

Fish Smell

I picked up a largemouth bass that I had mounted this week, but it still has that "fishy" smell to it. Does anybody have a fix or soulution to help eliminate the smell so it doesn't cause my wife to ban it from our house?

Initially they might have some odor but that usually fades quickly. After a week, it shouldn't smell :(

Most often on largemouth mounts this is caused by the taxidermist not cleaning out the cheek area well enough before mounting. If you start seeing yellowing around the cheeks under the eyes on a mount that's an uh oh sign. I don't know how to fix it or even if it can be.

Sorry if that's it.

better send a pm to ncfirefighter.....he has posted some fish he has done lately in the Taxidermy Room....He said that fish was his favorite to do so he might be able to help you out....

better send a pm to ncfirefighter.....he has posted some fish he has done lately in the Taxidermy Room....He said that fish was his favorite to do so he might be able to help you out....

exactly what I was thinkin'

Your bass should not have any smell what so ever. This is the result of a poorly done mount that was rushed.

Your bass should not have any smell what so ever. This is the result of a poorly done mount that was rushed.

RTF nailed it right on, no mounted fish should have a fishy smell to it, it was poorly cleaned and rushed IMO!